Diversity is a reality across Europe sparking debates on its meaning and its impacts on society. It is recent though, that universities have to take into account as an institution how diversity challenges our understanding of globalization, migration, gender, race and identity. Concepts and movements like decolonisation, Black Lives Matter, and systemic racism underline the inherent dynamics of power. Universities, as institutions of knowledge committed to equality, have a lead role in empowering and supporting our staff and students to engage in critical discussions on concepts challenging the orthodoxy. Equally, Universities today embody diversity with a community of students and staff from multiple identities, histories and geographies. The challenge of how to ensure respect, inclusion and safety of all members of this diverse community is today’s urgent priority moving commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion into concrete practices.
This webinar series provides an interactive platform to discuss and exchange best practices and develop initiatives that foster diversity and encourage global citizenship. The monthly 90 minutes seminars are coordinated by the following ENLIGHT partners:
- University of Bordeaux
- National University Ireland Galway
- Ghent University
- University of Göttingen
- University of Groningen
- Uppsala University
and open to staff and students of all ENLIGHT partners as well as their respective local communities.
The schedule of webinars includes:
- (U)Gent and decolonisation – a critical perspective (Ghent University) [Thursday 21 October 2021, 16:00 – 17:30]
For de recordings, see
- Towards a socially safe academic environment (University of Groningen) [Tuesday 9 November 2021. 16:00 – 17:30]
For the recordings, see
- Reflecting diversity globally – Imageries of the Global South (Göttingen University) [December 7, 2021, 13:00 – 14:30 ]
- Supporting an ethos and culture of inclusion through the University of Sanctuary movement and programme at NUI Galway (National University of Ireland, Galway) [February 2022] coming soon…
- Diversity through La Pensée Blanche (The white thought) – the limits of a conversation? (Uppsala University) [March 2022] coming soon…
- Diversity and discrimination at the university: from recognition to consideration (University of Bordeaux) [Thursday 14 April 2022] coming soon….