ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org.
The Tropical Legume III (TL III) Project led by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, is seeking applications from dynamic and highly innovative persons for the position of Scientist - Gender Research. The position will be based at ICRISAT, Nairobi, Kenya with responsibilities for gender research at the participating centers and all target countries. TL III is jointly implemented by ICRISAT, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in close collaboration with partners in the National Agricultural Research Systems of target countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
The gender specialist will utilize participatory technology testing and dissemination activities required to capture both qualitative and quantitative gender disaggregated data. He or she will also harmonize gender training approaches with other initiatives supported by BMGF (e.g. the N2Africa project) and empower women small-holder farmers by targeted seed and production information outreach efforts.
- Lead the implementation of the overarching gender strategy for Tropical Legumes III, in all program target regions/countries
- Lead the design and development of methodological tools and frameworks for gender research
- Lead the identification and integration of gender-relevant research issues in the three pillars of Tropical Legumes III project
- Lead the monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of the overarching gender research interventions in Tropical III project
- Use state-of-the-art qualitative or quantitative analyses to monitor and analyze gender mainstreaming processes during project implementation
- Coordinate and facilitate training and effective capacity building of the participating centers and partners of Tropical Legume III to mainstream gender
- Facilitate the exchange of knowledge and documentation of good practice approaches for gender equality, empowerment, social inclusion, and pro-poor targeting
- Provide comprehensive and timely reports to the Tropical Legumes III leadership as and when required
- Produce quality publications including articles in peer-reviewed journals, research reports, and other communications outputs for a range of audiences
- Strong capabilities in qualitative and/or quantitative analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong academic publications record
- Ability to travel extensively
- Demonstrated quality of judgment and the ability to think strategically, assessing and responding to new challenges in rural and agricultural development
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead and work in teams
- Ability to work effectively with research and development partners across the target countries
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English is essential.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication
Qualification and Skill Requirement:
- PhD in Sociology, Social Anthropology, Gender in Development, Rural Development Studies, Socio - Economics or related fields
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in gender in rural development/or agriculture/natural resource management in Sub-Saharan Africa
- A proven professional record on agriculture related gender research extending to study design, quantitative and qualitative analytic methods and peer-reviewed outputs
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline and self -motivation
- Experience working in multi-cultural and interdisciplinary teams
This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. The position is initially for two years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent.